Saturday, March 19, 2016

"Half Measures" - Daredevil Season 2 ( review )

You know what makes everything better? Ninjas. It's simple really.. peanut butter & ninjas, cheese pepperoni & ninjas, milk & ninjas, sex, gore & ninjas ( sorry that last one is my adult side AND just so happens to be Season 2 of Daredevil in a nutshell. Under that nutshell, however.. is a deep understanding of what the fans of this series want. Specifically super sweaty fans that grew up with "The Devil of Hells Kitchen" and they fucking did it. They have exceeded EVERY expectation but nothing is ever "perfect" but the imperfections are few and far between in this season.


I thought to myself that after the end of season one.. "what in the fuck just happened? What comes next? Are we getting a single season of each character ( Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage & Iron Fist ) before they all team up as "The Defenders"?! which is basically a street level Avengers. No skyscrapers and Heli-Carriers for these blue collar heroes in Hells Kitchen. Then my answer came when Jessica Jones came out and I realized how visceral they could end up getting with some of these characters. Tonally VERY different but yet, fits so well for this "R Rated" Marvel Netflix Universe.

When news broke of a season two of Daredevil I thought it was possibly a knee jerk reaction from the top brass at Marvel because of the seemingly unanimous fan support behind the show.. which brings me full circle to "What comes next?!"...


The Punisher, Elektra, and fucking ninjas is what came next. All over my face neck and chest. They seemed to have HEAVY influence from the pages of Frank Miller era Daredevil for this one. Before Miller there were no ninjas or "The Hand" and DEFINITELY no Elektra. Which is just so seamlessly done.. it's just amazing to finally erase that "whitewashed" Hollywood version of that character out of my and hopefully many others heads forever.


Speaking of erasing terrible Hollywood out of my mind forever, I need to bring up one of the greatest "Anti-Heroes" Marvel has ever had.. who's never been done right EVER ( I know there are Thomas jane and WARZONE fans out there ) BUT in my opinion. THE PUNISHER. This is the Punisher I've wanted from the beginning. Now that I think about it, Daredevil so far has given us quite a few of the  Marvel heroes and villains we have always wanted, yet never knew how long we've been waiting for these characters to be this well written on screen.

I've decided to go spoiler free because we are talking about 13 hours of material you get to marinate in.. shear fucking batshit craziness is what we got and did I say ninjas? Roof ninjas, wall crawling ninjas, sub-terrainian ninjas, magic ninjas, zombie ninjas. I mean finally.. fucking ninjas.


The slight letdown : There's a reason I keep bringing up ninjas and as fun as it is to see them, it was this seasons only downfall. So many ninja fights and another 13 hours later.. I would've not liked this season as much if it weren't for The Punisher ( Jon Bernthal ), Elektra ( Elodie Yung AKA my future mistress ) & our returning cast of characters like the DD himself ( Charlie Cox ) who did a lot better on his accent this time around... Also a few amazing guest appearances right out of left field. That balance is what made this season so fun. I can almost guarantee people will shout from rooftops for a Punisher stand alone season. 


So if someone were to ask me "which season was better" .. I couldn't answer that. They are both microcosms of character development and unbelievable action on a limited budget. Season two, I would say is the extra whipped cream & cherries on top of a hundred dollar Sunday. If you never heard of these characters or are too young for the comics.. but just old enough to remember the movie from '03.. This series is perfect for you.

Totally batshit amazing.

9.5 ninjas out of 10

On a side note.. Why is it that I am beginning to love "Super Hero" television over film these days? We are less than a week away from Batman v Superman, a month after that we have Captain America: Civil war, yet.. THIS is what I've been looking forward to. I'm noticing a tectonic shift in the status quo of "super hero" in different mediums. This couldn't make me any happier because now we are seeing huge Hollywood actors and actresses come join in on the fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment